Hello, World! Wow, I can’t believe that it’s almost the end of 2021 now. The world has changed so much since I last blogged in 2019. I wonder if people still read long posts and blogs like this now :)
Well, so what have I been up to the past two years? I’ve been staying home and paint most of the time, especially since the COVID hit the world and we had a major lock down from March – Dec 2020. It feels really weird that time just passed by like that, and it’s already the end of 2021 soon.
Here are a few major things that I’ve done since Sept 2019 if you are curious:
- I’ve started streaming art on Twitch since Sept 2019. I’ve streamed more than 1500 hours now. It has been a good experience and I really appreciate the support from the art community on Twitch during this difficult time of pandemic and lock down. However, I decided to cut down the number of hours I stream on Twitch in Sept 2021, as I’m feeling burnt out, and I’d also like to have more time for myself to decide what I’d like to do next.
- I’ve been creating Youtube videos consistently since Sept 2019. I think there are so much to learn in video editing, and making good videos. I really hope that I could get better at this and improve the qualities of the videos I made. Do leave me a comment there if you’ve any suggestions for me! I’ve also started streaming on YouTube in 2021, where I’d do a LIVE demo on a specific topic. Made sure you’ve subscribed to my Youtube channel so you won’t miss my videos or streams.
- I created a painting tutorial video for BBC Countryfile in Aug 2020. The editor found me through my Twitch streams, and I’m very thankful for the opportunity.
- I’ve started an online KoFi Shop, where I sell digital goodies including phone wallpaper, printable postcards, stickers, calendar, zines, and e-sketchbooks.
- I became one of the KoFi ambassadors in Nov 2020. I was really excited when I received the invite! Thank you so much to the KoFi team, that’s definitely one of my highlights in 2020.
- I finally upgraded my 10-year-old iMac to a refurbished PC in May 2021. COVID has made the computer price ridiculous! I’m just really grateful for being able to get the upgrade, so that I could continue to stream and create videos. Very thankful to the Twitch community who had donated to my Computer fund, it helps to cover about 35% of the cost!
- I signed up for an online watercolor course from April-August 2021 and was really excited to learn from an artist that I admire. I have been feeling stuck about my watercolor skills, and I think I need more time to explore how I’d like to paint.
- I also signed up for a short course on digital painting in March 2021, and learnt to create digital illustrations like this and this :) I’ve also started a new Instagram account for posting my digital painting practice. However, I’m experiencing wrist pains whenever I tried to do digital painting. I wonder if drawing on a display tablet would make a difference.
- I’ve started a Sketch Club with my Twitch Community on Discord since Jan 2021, and it has been an awesome experience so far. You can find out more about it on my Twitch streams, or see some of our works on IG with the tag #LeafbearSketchClub
- We also have a monthly Community ArtDay Stream on Twitch since Sept 2020. On every first Sunday of the month, the community can join the paint-along stream, work on a DTIYS doodle-redraw prompt or respond to a word prompt; and their work will be showcased on stream. I always enjoy seeing everyone’s work during the show-and-tell session! Since 2021, I’ve been using the painting I did during the Community ArtDay Stream as the printable reward for Twitch Subs. You can find our works on IG using the tag #LeafbearArtDay . I also have a few Youtube videos about it.
- I launched the Ko-fi Membership in Sept 2021. It’s a monthly support plan where members can enjoy different perks depending on the tier they joined. I was really nervous about the launch, and really thankful to the few people who supported me. I decided to stop offering the Watercolor Club tier after two months’ trail, as the amount of work required overwhelmed me. However, it was a good learning experience for me.
- I created two drawings for two soon-to-be published books in Sept 2021. I’m really excited about it and I’d share more soon :D
That’s about all. If you’ve read until here, thank you very much for you time :) I hope you enjoyed reading it, and I’d be thrilled if you’d like to join any of the community activities I mentioned above :)